Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC

Contact us

This is just a short list of how to reach us. For a complete list, see the Legal Aid BC website.

Note that the phone numbers below are for legal aid applications or general inquiries only.

Legal Aid BC can't give legal advice by email.


Call Centre (legal aid applications)

Greater Vancouver: 604-408-2172

Outside Greater Vancouver: 1-866-577-2525 (call no charge)

Administration (general inquiries only)

Greater Vancouver: 604-601-6000

400 – 510 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 3A8

Indigenous Services Department

Our Aboriginal email is for general inquiries only. We can't give legal advice over email. If you want to apply for legal aid or ask about your legal aid application, call the Call Centre. If you're interested in working with us, see Legal Aid BC's Careers page.

Email: aboriginal@lss.bc.ca

Find out more

Who can help?

Find an advocate

BC211 — Free confidential referrals to help and information — Call 211

BC Association of Friendship Centres — Find a friendship centre in your area

Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation — See their Guide to Indigenous Organizations and Services in British Columbia for organizations that can help

PovNet — Information about poverty issues and links to organizations that can help

Legal information

Aboriginal community legal workers — Give legal information and limited advice services

Legal information outreach workers — Give legal information and provide referrals

Legal Help

Legal Aid BC

Community partners — Give legal information and connect people to legal aid

Duty counsel — Give free legal advice

Family duty counsel — Free legal advice — Kwadacha and Tsay Key Dene — Call 1-877-601-6066 (no charge)

Family duty counsel — Free legal advice on family matters — Williams Lake, call 778-395-6200

First Nations Court duty counsel — Give free legal advice about having your matter transferred to First Nations Court and the charges against you — Call 604-601-6074 (Greater Vancouver) or 1-877-601-6066 (no charge outside Greater Vancouver)

Other free legal help

Access Pro Bono Law Clinics — Free legal help

Carole James, MLA, Community Office — Free legal clinic, including family and criminal matters — Call 250-412-7794

First Nations and Métis Outreach Program (The Law Centre) — Free legal help, including family matters — Victoria

Native Courtworkers and Counselling Association of BC — Give culturally appropriate services to Aboriginal people involved in the criminal justice system — Call 604-985-5355 (Greater Vancouver) or 1-877-811-1190 (no charge outside Greater Vancouver)

SHED Legal Advocacy Services — Free legal help — Bella Coola

UBC Indigenous Community Legal Clinic — Free legal help on various legal matters — 604-684-7334 (Greater Vancouver) or 1-888-684-7334 (call no charge)

Upper Skeena Counselling & Legal Assistance Society — Free legal help — Hazelton

Victoria Native Friendship Centre — Free legal clinic, including family and criminal matters — Call 250-412-7794