Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC

Sixties Scoop settlement agreement in principle

The Government of Canada has reached a settlement agreement in principle to compensate survivors of the Sixties Scoop for the loss of their culture and language.

Between 1965 and 1984, child welfare authorities forcibly removed thousands of Aboriginal children from their families and communities. They placed the children in foster care or adopted them out to non-Indigenous families. This action is known as the Sixties Scoop.


The compensation

The government has set aside a maximum of $750 million in a settlement agreement that recognizes children’s rights to their cultural identity.

They also set aside $50 million for an Indigenous Healing Foundation to provide culturally appropriate counselling for survivors. The foundation will focus on healing, wellness, language, culture, and commemoration.

The government still has to finalize the agreement. They might make the final agreement by the summer or fall of 2018. Then the process to claim for compensation will begin.

Who can claim for compensation?

You can claim for compensation if you:

  • are an Indian (defined by the Indian Act) or Inuit,
  • were removed from your home between 1951 and 1991,
  • were adopted, a Crown ward, or a long-term temporary ward, and
  • live on reserve or off reserve.

Your compensation amount

The amount you might get depends on how many survivors make a claim under the settlement.

  • If more than 20,000 survivors make a claim, you’ll each get $25,000 (to a maximum total compensation of $750 million for all survivors).
  • If fewer than 20,000 survivors make a claim, you’ll each get $50,000 (to a maximum total compensation of $500 million for all survivors).

Any remaining money will go to the Indigenous Healing Foundation.

How to make your compensation claim

When the government finalizes the agreement, a simple compensation claim form will be available.

In BC, you can make your claim through Klein Lawyers (Vancouver) without paying legal fees. The government pays their fees. Their fees won’t come out of the compensation for survivors.

There’ll be a deadline to make a claim. See the Klein Lawyers website for information about the claim process and for updates.

Also see the Sixties Scoop class action lawsuit website for updates.

For more information

For more information about the settlement agreement, see the Sixties Scoop class action lawsuit website. Scroll down the page to read the FAQs.

See also Aboriginal Sixties Scoop Class Action on the Klein Lawyers website.

Who can help?

Healing and support

First Nations Health Authority — Gives mental health and emotional support to Indian residential school survivors. Call 1-877-477-0775 ​(no charge)

KUU-US Crisis Line Society — Crisis line dedicated to the Aboriginal community — Call 1-800-588-8717 (no charge, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

Tsow-Tum Le Lum Society — Has programs that support survivors of trauma and Indian residential schools

VictimLink BC — Counselling, information, and referrals — Call 1-800-563-0808 (no charge, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

Legal advocacy and advice

Native Courtworkers and Counselling Association of BC — Culturally appropriate services to Aboriginal people — Call 604-985-5355 (Greater Vancouver) or 1-877-811-1190 (no charge

Bella Coola Legal Advocacy Program — Free legal help — Bella Coola

UBC Indigenous Community Legal Clinic — Free legal help on various legal matters — 604-684-7334 (Greater Vancouver) or 1-888-684-7334 (call no charge)