Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC

Delegated agencies

If a social worker contacts you or visits your home to ask you questions about your family, they may be working for a delegated Aboriginal child and family service agency. Delegated agencies have an agreement with the Ministry of Children and Family Development to provide certain child welfare services to Aboriginal communities.

You have the right to get legal advice. If the social worker's concerns are very serious, the social worker may take your child from your home. Call Legal Aid immediately to find out if you qualify for a free lawyer.

To find services that can help you, see Who can help.


What is a delegated agency?

Delegated agencies:

Child protection laws in BC recognize the importance of Aboriginal family ties to Aboriginal children. Delegated agencies are part of an effort to restore the responsibilities of child protection and family support to Aboriginal communities.

What do delegated agencies do?

Delegated agencies may offer the following services:

  • Support services for the whole family
  • Help with preparing voluntary care agreements for children
  • Help with writing, monitoring, and reviewing your child's plan of care
  • Help with writing special needs agreements for your child if your child has special needs
  • Monitoring how your child is doing while they're in care
  • Help for youth who are moving towards independence

Some delegated agencies may also have the power to:

  • get and look into reports of child abuse and neglect,
  • get supervision orders to make sure your child is safe and healthy,
  • take your child from your home and place them in a relative's care (such as an aunt, uncle, or grandparent), and
  • deal with guardianship social workers to place a child for adoption.

Where can I find a delegated agency?

Aboriginal delegated agencies work with families living on and off reserve across BC.

Elsewhere in BC

Greater Vancouver


Aboriginal Child and Family Services
Phone: 604-872-6723 or 1-877-982-2377(call no charge)

Métis Family Services (Surrey)
Phone: 604-584-6621

Surrounded by Cedar Child and Family Services
Phone: 250-383-2990.

The ministry's website has a full list of the delegated agencies across BC. Check the list to find out if your band or community is involved.

Find out more

What can I do if I'm being investigated for a child protection matter?

You have the right to get legal advice if a social worker from the ministry or a delegated agency:

  • contacts you or visits your home to ask questions about your family,
  • threatens to take your children away, or
  • takes your children away.

Call Legal Aid

Child protection matters are covered by Legal Aid. Call Legal Aid immediately to find out if you qualify for a free lawyer. If you don't qualify for a lawyer, there are other free legal aid resources available to you.

Ask for support

You can ask for support from your Aboriginal community throughout the child protection process:

  • If you're being investigated by the ministry and your band or Aboriginal community is represented by a delegated agency, you can ask the ministry to inform the delegated agency of the investigation.
  • Whether you're being investigated by the ministry or a delegated agency, you can ask for a representative from your band or friendship centre who will support you during the investigation. This representative can help your child stay connected to their Aboriginal family and community.

Ask for a mediator

A mediator can help you work with the ministry. A mediator is a professional who's specially trained to:

  • not take sides,
  • help people reach an agreement, and
  • help people work out conflicts.

You can ask for a mediator as soon as the social worker has contacted you.

Mediation is free for families who are involved with the ministry. Mediators can travel to remote communities.

Find out more

Who can help?


Attorney General — Child Protection Mediation Program

Mediate BC — Has a list of child protection mediators in BC

Find an advocate

BC211 — Free confidential referrals to help and information — Call 211

PovNet — Information about poverty issues and links to organizations that can help

BC Association of Friendship Centres — Find a friendship centre in your area

Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation — See their Guide to Indigenous Organizations and Services in British Columbia for organizations that can help

Legal help

Legal information

Aboriginal community legal workers — Give legal information and limited advice services

Legal information outreach workers — Give legal information and provide referrals

Legal advocacy and advice

Access Pro Bono Law Clinics — Free legal help

Carole James, MLA, Community Office — Free legal clinic, including family matters — Call 250-412-7794

Family duty counsel — Free legal advice on family matters — Kwadacha and Tsay Key Dene — Call 1-877-601-6066 (no charge)

Family duty counsel — Free legal advice on child protection matters — Williams Lake, call 778-395-6200

First Nations and Métis Outreach Program (The Law Centre) — Free legal help, including family matters — Victoria

Native Courtworker and Counselling Society — Advocate on behalf of Aboriginal parents in family matters — Prince George and Terrace

Bella Coola Legal Advocacy Program — Legal advocacy on a issues, including child protection — Bella Coola

UBC Indigenous Community Legal Clinic — Free legal help on various legal matters — 604-684-7334 (Greater Vancouver) or 1-888-684-7334 (call no charge)

Upper Skeena Counselling & Legal Assistance Society — Help with family matters —Hazelton

Victoria Native Friendship Centre — Free legal clinic, including family matters — Call 250-412-7794