Sixties Scoop

Sixties Scoop protest
Sixties Scoop class action lawsuit

Deadline to apply for compensation: August 30, 2019

Between 1965 and 1984, child welfare authorities forcibly removed thousands of Aboriginal children from their families and communities. They placed the children in foster care or adopted them out to non-Indigenous families. This action is known as the Sixties Scoop.

In October 2017, the Government of Canada reached a settlement agreement in principle to compensate survivors of the Sixties Scoop for the loss of their culture, language, and identity. The courts approved the settlement and claims for compensation have started.

Who can claim for compensation

You can claim for compensation if you:

  • are First Nations, Inuit, or Métis (Métis people might qualify if they have Indian status),
  • were taken from your home in Canada between 1951 and 1991, and
  • adopted or placed in non-Indigenous homes.

How to make your compensation claim

The federal government will pay up to $800 million to settle all claims across Canada.

In BC, you can make your claim through Klein Lawyers (Vancouver) without paying legal fees. The government pays their fees. Their fees won’t come out of the compensation for survivors.

  • The deadline for filing claims is August 30, 2019.
  • To file a claim, use the application form linked to from the Klein Lawyers website.

The government also set aside $50 million for an Indigenous Healing Foundation to provide culturally appropriate counselling for survivors. The foundation will focus on healing, wellness, language, culture, and commemoration.

Where to get help to apply

If you need help to apply for compensation, contact one of the supporting BC organizations listed by region (provided by PovNet).

For more information

See the Klein Lawyers website for more information about the claim process and updates.

Also see the Sixties Scoop class action lawsuit website for updates.

image credits:
Sixties Scoop Rally & March at Allen Gardens, Toronto, Fall, 2011

Get help

First Nations Health Authority — Gives mental health and emotional support to Indian residential school survivors — Call 1-877-477-0775

KUU-US Crisis Line Society — Crisis line dedicated to the Aboriginal community — Call 1-800-588-8717 (24 hours a day)

Tsow-Tum Le Lum Society — Has programs that support survivors of trauma and Indian residential schools

See more

See more

VictimLinkBC — Counselling, information, and referrals — Call 1-800-563-0808 (24 hours a day)

Native Courtworkers and Counselling Association of BC— Culturally appropriate services to Aboriginal people — Call 604-985-5355 (Greater Vancouver) or 1-877-811-1190 (elsewhere in BC)

Bella Coola Legal Advocacy Program — Free legal help — Bella Coola

UBC Indigenous Community Legal Clinic — Free legal help on various legal matters — 604-684-7334 (Greater Vancouver) or 1-888-684-7334 (elsewhere in BC)