Indigenous name reclamation

Indigenous name reclamation process

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recently launched the Indigenous name reclamation process to answer the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Call to Action 17. The process helps Indian Residential School survivors, their families, and all Indigenous peoples reclaim their traditional names and put them on official identity documents.

Under the new simpler IRCC process, all Indigenous peoples can put their traditional names on replacement passports, travel documents, citizenship certificates, and permanent resident cards. Federal application fees are waived (not charged) until May 30, 2026.

You must first go through a provincial name change process. To change your name in BC, see Legal Change of Name Application.

Lawyers at Heron Law Offices will help you for free with the IRCC process.